Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Fifty Shades and Eleven Minutes: An Analogy

More than a month ago, everybody (especially my lady friends) seemed excited, no that is underrated, ECSTATIC will be the word with a rumored upcoming movie that will give life to a bestselling controversial book. My facebook feeds were flooded with a fanmade movie trailer with an overly provocative plot of a college graduate and an executive hunk.In an instant, curiosity killed the cat in me.

I searched for a free e-book download but found none. Until, I saw an instagram post of a Filipino actress sporting a hardcopy of the book Fifty Shades of Grey. I was so curious that I, out of the normal, bothered to read up the comments. A certain fan, posted that she had already read the trilogy and that she would be willing to give out the website where you could download an e-book. And you already know what happened after.  The books got the hang out of me. Finally!



In just a matter of ONE month, I finished the trilogy by E.L. James: Fifty Shades of Grey, Fifty Shades Darker. Fifty Shades Freed. And by all means, I was kind of proud of myself, I am no longer left behind from the fad. But what did those books tried to tell me? That love exist. Of course, we all know that. If I were to give a review, the book would be rated 6/10. Nothing mind boggling. with some fairy tale concept where a simple lass ran over a young tycoon who has everything. It would be perfect for one who's bored to get out of bed everyday. For me, what made these trilogy more intriguing was the explicit touch of sexuality particularly in the fields of SADISM and MASOCHISM, where, in my opinion, RARE in our literature. As far as I know, nobody dared to talk about it without any vagueness than the author. It was just so ironic that when I made a research regarding the book it was actually developed from the Twilight series.

After what seem a very erotic read of which I admittedly skipped some delicate parts that I can no longer imagine what was happening, a friend gave me a copy of an e-book of same category. However, this time, it is written by a well known and very respected author in the person of Paolo Coelho. The book, though not so revealing of it's true topic, is entitled "Eleven Minutes". It is a story of a prostitute who sought self realizations in life, sufferings, pleasure, loneliness, light, spirituality, sexuality and love in a country very far, geographically and socially, from hers. What made me think that it is with same category as the Fifty trilogy is the fact that it boldly brought about the topic of sexuality. Rare in the  literature.



Between the two, the second one stand out for its philosophical touch. Coelho's is rather profound than the Fifty. The focus of the story is not on sexuality but on the character's life experiences and reflections. Something thought provoking and made you giggle at the same time. With both authors, it is rightfully a no-brainer to choose Coelho. Experience wise, his works are out of art and not of fad.

No comments:

Post a Comment